Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Warizal, Dela Rosa win MILO Marathon's Palawan eliminations


A pair of unheralded runners struck with enough precision to rule the Puerto Princesa City elimination leg of the 35th National Milo Marathon, organizers said Sunday in a press release distributed to news organizations and bloggers.

Norlan Warizal outraced back-to-back Puerto Princesa regional race champ Roben Samoya in the last kilometer to win the men’s division with a time of 1:14:22, while newcomer Jila de la Rosa surprised the more seasoned participants by grabbing the women’s top honor with a clocking of 1:36:53.

It was a big day for the 26-year-old Warizal, who rose to the top even without a coach and relied heavily on YouTube training videos of world renowned Olympian and long-distance runner Ryan Hall to guide his training and improve his performance.

 “Last year, the only training I knew was to run long distances, but this year I wanted to try something different and improve, so I looked to Youtube videos of my running idol Ryan Hall on training programs and speed workouts,” said Warizal. 



Even the weather seemed to cooperate on the victory as Tropical storm Mina cleared in time for a sunny morning race, which helped the former baggage counter attendant secure his first major crown after five years of competitive running.

“I really did not expect to win today, but I wanted to do my best and improve my time. From the start of the race, I really pushed my endurance and speed to maintain my lead. Towards the turnaround, I sped up even more to gain a 2-minute lead against my competitor,” added Warizal, last year’s 28th placer in the National Milo Marathon Finals.

Warizal’s win relegated heavily favored Samoya to just second with a time of 1:16:33. “I really wanted to top the Palawan race again, but I over-trained and fell ill Thursday right before the race. I still tried to lead but toned down after feeling muscle strain at the 3rd kilometer and could not keep up” said 2010 Milo Marathon 8th placer Samoya.

Local bet Marco Laipan settled for third in 1:23:18, while Felicimo Jr. Mambaje managed 1:23:33 for fourth, Sherwin Leonidas timed 1:28:11 for fifth and Johnrey Labrador was sixth in 1:29:30. 

Completing the top ten cast in the 21-k flat course were Mendoza Roderick at seventh (1:31:44), Wilfredo Quipquip Sr. for the 8th spot (1:32:14), Diomie Caballero finished 9th (1:33:17) and Manuel Dotillos of Western Command settling for the 10th position (1:34:01).

On the distaff side, Puerto Princesa native and Education major at the University of Sto. Tomas, Jila dela Rosa posted her maiden victory on her first attempt at the half marathon. Armed with skills from her track and field training in UST, and personal training from her father, 18 year old De la Rosa moved up from 10-k races to be the lone Palawena qualifier to the Manila finals.

“During the race, I made sure I ran my own pace which I trained for in my time trials. I made sure I didn’t get pressured by the lead pack or other competitors so I won’t over exert myself. As I am more accustomed to 10k, I felt the challenge of 21k when my feet started to feel heavier, it was harder to speed up and I got harsh blisters on my feet, but I am thankful I finished first despite a number of really good competitors” added De la Rosa.



Falling in second place was veteran Bernardita Mag-aso in 1:47:18 and Victorina Calma was third in 1:49:06. Conchita Dingcol settled for fourth (2:00:04), Flores Joanna at fifth (2:07:53) and Maricris Laipan for sixth (2:18:55).

Warizal and de la Rosa will lead nine other age group qualifiers, Marco Laipan, Felicimo Jr. Mambaje, Sherwin Leonidas, Johnrey Labrador, Ruben Samuya, Diomie Caballero, Wilfredo Sr. Quipquip, Joel Jr. Dela Rosa, Ebod Balsinio  into the Finals on Dec. 11 at the SM Mall of Asia.

 They will be joined by previous regional leg winners Eliud Kering of Kenya and Luisa Raterta of Batanagas, Mercy Taypoc and Reynaldo Pascua of Ilocos, Hernani Sore and Jessa Mangsat of Dagupan, Robeno Javier of Olongapo, Jujet de Asis, Geraldine Sealza of Tarlac and Manila elims titlists James Tallam of Kenya and RP team standout and former champion Jho-Ann Banayag.

At stake in the full 42-195-k finals won by Eduardo Buenavista and Flordeliza Donos last year is a whopping Php 300,000 for the men and women’s champion.

500 pairs of shoes were given to students of Palawan National National High School, East Central School and elementary schools Pilot, Mateo Jagmis Memorial and Wescom as part of the National Milo Marathon’s “Help Give Shoes” advocacy.  

The 35th National MILO Marathon heightens its commitment of building champions in sports and in life by continuing its advocacy of providing running shoes to underprivileged children. Last year, a total of 4,200 pairs were donated to public school children nationwide. This season, in line with Nestle’s celebration of 100 years, the advocacy aims to give 100 pairs of shoes to 100 students from 100 schools nationwide—a total of 10,000 more shoes donated.

From Puerto Princesa City, the 17-leg eliminations will move to Naga City on Sept. 4 and San Pablo on Sept. 11. Then the Visayas swing will start in Ilo-Ilo City on Sept. 18, Bacolod (Sept. 25), Cebu City (Oct 2), Tagbilaran (Oct 9), Cagayan De Oro (Oct 16), Butuan (Oct 23), General Santos (Oct 30) and the Davao City leg on Nov.  6 with the Manila Finals slated on December 11.


No comments:

Post a Comment