Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Languido, Hallesgo top Cagayan de Oro elims of 38th MILO Marathon

CAGAYAN DE ORO City, Philippines (9 November 2014)  - Returning Cagayan De Oro champ Juniel Languido and Christine Hallesgo claimed the top spots in the 21K centerpiece events at the Cagayan De Oro leg of the 38th National MILO Marathon held on Sunday.

More than 12,000 runners graced the 15th qualifying leg of the prestigious nationwide race in the City of Golden Friendship.

Languido and Hallesgo each received a cash prize of P10,000 and a trophy, and will lead 70 other qualifiers from CDO to the National Finals in Manila on December 7, where elite runners from all over the Philippines go head-to-head in a grand finale to claim the MILO Marathon King and Queen titles.

As an added motivation, this year’s MILO Marathon King and Queen are guaranteed participation to the 2015 Tokyo Marathon.
Malaybalay natives (right to left)
Juniel Languido and Christine
Hallosgos won the 21K titles of
the 38th National MILO Marathon
Cagayan De Oro Qualifying Race.
Though challenged by the new route, veteran runner Languido expertly navigated it and posted a new record of one hour, 10 minutes and 16 seconds, beating fiercest rival and good friend Blendon Sandinao (1:14:42) who finished second. Bryan Quiamco (1:15:10) followed in at third place.

The 31-year-old DOLE watchman from Malaybalay, Bukidnon shares his elation for his back-to-back wins.

“The race today was great. I am very pleased to win again and I am very happy to break my personal record. I dedicate my win to my family, especially my son. I hope to be able to inspire him to run, too, so he can avoid vices and bad influences,” said Languido.

“To prepare for the race, I usually run for three hours near my house, or I run to go to work. Blendon (Sandinao), the second placer, is my training buddy. I met him while competing in running events. He is my fiercest rival but we are very good friends, and I also coach him. He hasn’t beaten me yet but I’m sure one day he will be able to. He’s young runner and has a great future ahead of him.”

Christine Hallasgo wins her first
21K National MILO Marathon
race in Cagayan De Oro City.
In the women's side, Malaybalay Runners member Christine Hallasgo secured her first ever National MILO Marathon 21K victory with a time of 1:27:48. Cresabel Cadion (1:33:11) came in at second place and Lezette Albarote (01:36:59) in third.*

Hallasgo, a 21-year-old 3rd year Bukidnon State University student, started joining the 5K event of the National MILO Marathon in 2010, but it was her first time to run in the 21K event this year.

“I really did not expect to win the race. My target was only to qualify for the National Finals in Manila, which has been a dream of mine since I first joined the MILO Marathon,” shared Hallasgo.

“I will train harder for the finals. Focus and discipline will be key to my training, and of course, faith in God. I cannot wait to go to Manila because it will be my first time there, and I’m excited to be running among the Filipino running greats, especially my idol, Mary Joy Tabal.”

Young Taekwondo star and MILO Rising Champion Jason Sia also joined the 5K event of the race. The 14-year-old 9th grade student from Puntod, Cagayan De Oro emphasized the importance of incorporating running in his training regimen.

“Running really helps with my Taekwondo training because it builds up stamina and requires a lot of discipline,” shared Sia. “It’s my first time to join the MILO Marathon but I plan to join again next year and possibly level up to the 10K event. I really enjoyed the race.”

MILO Sports Marketing Manager Andrew Neri expressed his gratitude to everyone who contributed to the success of the race.

“We at MILO are proud of surpassing our target headcount for the CDO race. We would like to thank our local organizers and the local government of CDO, as led by Mayor Oscar Moreno, and everyone else who has given their participation and support to the National MILO Marathon,” said Neri.

“We are also delighted to see that the MILO Marathon is a ground where the fiercest rivals come together and become great friends, as evidenced by our winners Juniel Languido and Blendon Sandinao. We aim to continue fostering great camaraderie and sportsmanship in the National MILO Marathon, and promote holistic development on and off the race course as we build champions in sports and in life.”

With the support of the Department of Education and the National MILO Marathon runners, MILO’s Help Gives Shoes advocacy will provide 16,000 underprivileged youth with brand new running shoes and reach the 50,000 mark this year.

As MILO celebrates its 50th year, Help Give Shoes aims to make the donation to students in Yolanda-hit cities, particularly Tacloban, Ormoc, and Eastern Samar.

The last two qualifying races will be held in General Santos on November 16 and Davao on November 23. The National Finals will be held on December 7 at the SM Mall of Asia grounds in Pasay City. (MILO) Press Release)




Young runners enjoy the fun run during the Cagayan de Oro eliminations.

No comments:

Post a Comment