Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Its the form not the shoes - McDougall

Click on the picture to view The New York Times Magazine video on the right way to run.  The picture is also from the same media outfit.

Christopher McDougall, runner and author of best-seller Born To Run, argued that its not the shoes but the form that is important in running and running fast.

McDougall in an aricle published by the New York Times explained that most runners today are heel runners instead of being  "whisper soft striders."

"Two years ago, in my book, “Born to Run,” I suggested we don’t need smarter shoes; we need smarter feet. I’d gone into Mexico’s Copper Canyon to learn from the Tarahumara Indians, who tackle 100-mile races well into their geriatric years. I was a broken-down, middle-aged, ex-runner when I arrived. Nine months later, I was transformed. After getting rid of my cushioned shoes and adopting the Tarahumaras’ whisper-soft stride, I was able to join them for a 50-mile race through the canyons. I haven’t lost a day of running to injury since," McDougall wrote.

Part of the blame, according to McDougall, is the fear "marketed" by sports companies. Runners are brainwashed that "good"-looking, scientifically-designed shoes, including the "barefoot" brand, will thelp them achieve better personal bests and results.

But because runners do not have the right form, they usually suffer injuries instead of performing better.

Here is an illustration of what McDougall is preaching.

Illustration courtesy of The New York Times


I am giving this kind of running a try and based on my last three races, I believe that my performance is getting better.

Maybe you should try this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment